UJ Bcom Accounting
The Bachelor of Commerce in Accountancy is a professionally-oriented and highly relevant online programme that will provide you with an international perspective on global principles of finance and accounting. Potential students are individuals who want to pursue a career as professionals in the broad fields of finance and accounting but who, owing to financial and geographical barriers, are unable to access contact education, or who would prefer the flexibility that is available through distance learning.
This online programme will develop your intellectual, practical and critical-thinking skills so that you can apply subject-related knowledge and solve problems, which is expected of an entry-level accountant in any international practice.
Furthermore, the programme provides you with a comprehensive and fundamental knowledge base of the underlying core international principles of accounting, governance, risk management and control, auditing, financial management, and management accounting. In line with the international focus of the programme, it will not offer a module on national tax, as tax laws differ from country to country. Important global tax principles will be incorporated into the other modules, specifically accounting and financial management.
Qualifying students should be ready to enter the job market as entry-level accountants who can apply the knowledge they have gained and make decisions to solve problems in a holistic business context. Additionally, the programme will help you to become a self-directed, lifelong learner who can work effectively as an individual, in teams and in multidisciplinary environments. The programme emphasises competence, integrity, and application of ethics in a professional business environment, and will enable you to act professionally and ethically. Finally, this programme will prepare you for further studies in international accounting, governance, risk management and control, auditing, financial management, and management accounting as a science.
The admission requirements for this programme will adhere to the University of Johannesburg’s Admission and Selection Policy which is current at the time of the registration for this programme.
A Senior Certificate or a National Senior Certificate that meets the specific admission criteria noted below.
For non-South African students a school leaving certificate that meets the specific admission criteria noted below.
A minimum Admissions Point Score (APS) of 28 is required for admission into this degree, with the following specifications:
- English with an APS of 4
- Maths with an APS of 4
- Mathematical Literacy is not accepted.
How to calculate an Admission Point Score (APS): Click here
- A certified academic record and a certified copy of highest qualification obtained.
The international equivalence of qualifications will be specified in the Prospectus.
Have a question? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0800 233 723 (toll-free)
We recommend the following in order to successfully complete your 100% online degree:
Basic computer skills:
- Be able to operate your computer and perform basic tasks.
- Email and file management (access, create, edit, save, upload and download documents).
- Be able to use a word processing programme to create and edit documents.
- Basic web-browsing skills.
- Laptop or PC
- A high-speed internet connection (3G, 4G, LTE, ADSL or Fibre)
- E-book storage and reading
- Study notes storage and reading (PDF, MS Office)
- Video storage and playback
- Video recording
- Audio storage and playback
- Audio recording
- Web browsing
- Document creation
- Access to social networking
Module interruption and scheduled maintenance:
In the event of unexpected module interruption on the due date for an activity, the online facilitator will notify students of a new due date.
Courses and Programmes
- Bachelors of Accounting (CA Stream)
- BCom Accounting
- CTA – Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting Science (CA Stream)
- BCom (Hons) in Accountancy
- BCom Honours (Financial Management) | Postgraduate Diploma (PGDip) (Financial Management)
- Masters (MCom) Programmes
- Doctoral (PhD) Programmes
- Advanced Diploma Accountancy
- Bridging Programme in Accountancy
- Advanced Diploma in Financial Management
- Bridging Programme in Financial Management
- BCTA (Bridging Certificate in the Theory of Accounting)
Short Learning Programmes
- Public Sector
- Corporate Governance
100% Online Programmes
- Bachelor of Commerce in Accountancy
100% Online Short Learning Programmes
- For SAICA members
- For Professionals in Business